Extend Visual Studio Team Services for Java Developers or Build a Java App Using Eclipse or IntelliJ Plugins.
Create a Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) extension that helps developers create, test, deploy, etc. Java apps. Or, create a Java app using Visual Studio Team Services Eclipse plugin (aka Team Explorer Everywhere) or JetBrains IntelliJ plugin.
What type of Java app or extension should I build?
There are no limits to what you can build for the Java Tools Challenge. Here are some ideas to get your started:
- Integrations. Have a Java developer tool or extension that you want integrated with one of our Visual Studio products? The Java Tools Challenge is your chance to build that integration.
- Functionality. Wish Visual Studio would support your Java development? The Java Tools Challenge is your chance to extend our products and help Java development teams work even smarter.
- Existing App or Extension. Already have a Java app that runs on the Visual Studio Team Services Eclipse plugin (aka Team Explorer Everywhere) or JetBrains IntelliJ plugin? Consider building a version for the Java Tools Challenge. Or have a Visual Studio plugin or extension for Java development that you've built for your team? The Java Tools Challenge is a great way to share it with the Java developer community.
- Solutions. Is there an industry or business team that would benefit from the customization of our products? Help these teams unleash their potential by building a Java app for the Java Tools Challenge.
- Thousands of developers have developed apps and extensions for the Visual Studio platform. For some inspiration, checkout some of the products that have been published on our Visual Studio Marketplace.
Everyone that submits a qualified entry receives a cool Java Tools Challenge t-shirt AND the first 250 qualified submissions also get 10 VSTS User Licenses!
This challenge is open to:
- Individuals (who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry)
- Teams of eligible individuals
- Organizations (up to 50 employees)
- Large Organizations (with over 50 employees) may compete only for the non-cash Large Organization Recognition Awards.
- Employees of Large Organizations (with over 50 employees) are eligible as long as they enter the competition independent of their company and meet all other requirements.
Employees of Microsoft, Devpost, and contractors currently under contract work for Microsoft or Devpost are not eligible.
If you are employed by a public sector organization, please review the rules pertaining to prize fulfillment to a public sector organization employee.
How to enter
- “Register” to access the submission form, receive important communications, and form teams.
- Build an awesome VSTS extension for Java developers or a Java app using the VSTS plugin for Eclipse or IntelliJ.
- Visit the Resources pages for VSTS extensions, Visual Studio Team Services Eclipse plugin (aka Team Explorer Everywhere), and JetBrains IntelliJ plugin.
- Submit your VSTS extensions to the Visual Studio Marketplace.
- Shoot a demo video and/or take screenshots of your functioning app.
- Create your submission on DevPost with a) Your extension/app name, b) VS Marketplace URL or link to your Java App in the "Website URL" field, and c) Banner image for your extension/app via the image uploader.
- Submit early! (You can edit your submission as many times as you want before the deadline.)
Principal Program Manager
Corporate VP, Developer Division
Sr. PM Cross-Platform and Open Tools
Software Development Manager
Is your app or extension solving a real problem developers have?
Is your app or extension creative and unique given the other apps and extensions in the market?
Does the app or extension function as expected? Is it free of bugs?
Is the UI intuitive and the description informative including useful screenshots?